WARNING: SPOILERS AHEAD. Don’t read unless you’ve seen the movie!
Believe the hype. Captain America: Civil War is legendary. The story is so intricate and yet well-told. The acting is moving. The fight scenes are just so emotional. You’re torn throughout the whole movie and feel like your heart is being ripped apart because you’ve been so invested in these characters and their dedication to make the world safer, but now they both have good perspectives on how to keep it safe and you don’t know what to do with yourself. That’s literally how I felt. It was all overwhelming in the best way.
I went to go see it last Thursday night and the first night is always fun because that’s when the die-hard nerd fans (like me) go and we clap, laugh out loud, and scream for everything nerdy that happens. Omg like when Tony was talking about how he had an idea and then it cut to Queens and we all knew that meant Spidey… Yeah, I could not hear much of the dialogue between him, Stark, and Aunt May for awhile because of all our screaming. (Btw, Marisa Tomei as Aunt May? Yes please). So Thursday night is pretty much the geeking out night when I just revel in how awesome everything is.
Then I went to watch it again late Friday night because my parents didn’t watch with us on Thursday and they wanted to go. I’m happy I watched it again because I got to pay attention to the story more and understand all the little details better, which made me appreciate the writers even more for how intricate everything was. I was amazed at how they wrote Zemo’s plot to destroy the empire, that is the Avengers, from the inside. Every time I asked a question to my brother about why something would happen in the plot, I was able to answer it myself while thinking aloud and I loved that because the plot made you think, but it wasn’t confusing or had loopholes. Zemo is a genius and so were the writers of the film.
I could go on forever so I’ll save you the time and just quickly share some of my favorite parts (in somewhat order of appearance).
- Crossbones’ armor. SO SICK.
- Wanda/Scarlet Witch making a mistake, accidentally killing innocent people, and just seeing her vulnerability was so powerful to me.
- Wanda & Vision. A Romeo & Juliet story, but better. They care about each other, but choose different sides… Ugh, my heart. Just tell each other how you feel already, dang it.
- That camera shot revealing the Black Panther for the first time when he was fighting Bucky and the sun radiating on him. Gold.
- When Sam/Falcon asks T’Challa/Black Panther if he likes cats haha
- That moment when Cap & Sam find out there are more winter soldiers out there and Sam says he knows someone who can help them and everyone in the theater screams, excited for the scene when Scott/Ant-Man meets Cap and fan girls (and we already know about that scene because we’re geeks and watched all the TV spots before the movie came out).
- And then the next moment when Natasha/Black Widow tells Tony that they are unequipped with people on their side and she says her idea is downstairs, talking about T’Challa, but Tony has other plans and it cuts to a shot of Queens and then a tracking shot, following Peter Parker’s lower body to see a worn out backpack and a junky DVD player. The whole theater screams because everyone knows that’s our beloved Spidey ❤ I never thought I’d live to see the day when Spider-Man is with the Avengers onscreen. I can die a happy girl.
- All the talk about his hot Aunt May. So funny!
- When Tony shows videos of Peter as Spider-Man and Peter is all startled, talking about how those are fake on YouTube, but Tony finds his suit.
- Peter’s line about how if someone can do what he can do, but doesn’t use it and then the bad things happen, they are the reason the bad things happen. I totally jacked up that quote, but it’s a pretty deep quote, man.
- Pretty much anything that happened in Peter’s room between him & Stark.
- THE EPIC AIRPORT BATTLE. OMG WHEN SPIDEY SHOWED UP AND WAS ALL AWKWARDLY TALKING TO EVERYONE AND IRON MAN TOLD HIM TO SHUSH AND THEN HAWKEYE DISTRACTED IRON MAN WHILE SCARLET WITCH THREW CARS AT HIM AND THEN ANT-MAN TOLD CAP TO THROW A MINI TRUCK AT WAR MACHINE BUT IT GREW TO A BIG TRUCK THAT BLEW UP AND ANT-MAN WAS LIKE OH I THOUGHT IT WAS A WATER TRUCK AND THEN SPIDEY FOUGHT BUCKY AND FALCON BUT STILL TALKED A LOT LIKE ABOUT HOW HE HAD TO IMPRESS MR. STARK AND THEN WHEN VISION SHOWED UP AND THEY ALL GOT IN A LINE ON THEIR SIDES AND RAN TO EACH OTHER AND SPIDEY WAS LIKE THEY’RE NOT STOPPING AND THEY ALL STARTED FIGHTING AND THEN HAWKEYE SHOT AN ARROW WITH ANT-MAN THERE AND HE WENT INSIDE TONY’S SUIT AND THEN HAWKEYE AND BLACK WIDOW WERE FIGHTING AND SHE WAS LIKE “WE’RE STILL FRIENDS RIGHT?” AND THEN WHEN ANT-MAN BECAME GIANT MAN AND IRON MAN WAS LIKE “IF ANYONE ON OUR SIDE HAS ANY HIDDEN TALENTS, I’M OPEN TO SUGGESTIONS” AND THEN SPIDEY MADE A STAR WARS: EMPIRE STRIKES BACK REFERENCE ON HOW TO TAKE DOWN GIANT MAN AND THEN SPIDEY WAS FIGHTING CAP AND CAP GOT HIM STUCK AND WAS LIKE “WHERE ARE YOU FROM KID?” AND SPIDEY WAS LIKE QUEENS AND CAP WAS LIKE HA, BROOKLYN AND THEN WHEN BLACK PANTHER WAS ALL FIGHTING AMAZINGLY WITH HIS SPLITS IN THE AIR AND HE WAS TRYING TO CATCH CAP AND BUCKY BEFORE GETTING TO THEIR GETAWAY VEHICLE BUT BLACK WIDOW HELPS THEM ESCAPE AND THEN WHEN IRON MAN AND WAR MACHINE FOLLOW THE GETAWAY VEHICLE IN THE AIR BUT FALCON WAS FOLLOWING THEM SO VISION TRIES TO SHOOT HIM BUT GETS DISTRACTED WITH WANDA’S BEAUTY AND ACCIDENTALLY HITS WAR MACHINE INSTEAD. UGH ALL THE FEELS. (Yes, that all deserved caps lock).
- When Bucky & Cap reminisce on girls when they were younger before exiting the vehicle to look for Zemo.
- When Tony finally believes Steve and goes to help him as a friend, but then we find out it is part of Zemo’s trap and then Tony finds out that Bucky was the one who killed his parents.
- That epic shot (that is in the trailer) when Bucky & Cap were tag teaming against Iron Man by those cement bars that go to the outside and they’re all backlit and fighting.
- The moment when T’Challa realizes Zemo is the one who killed his father and goes to kill him, then finds out Zemo is doing all of this because the Avengers killed his family and T’Challa decides to not let vengeance get the best of him anymore, but doesn’t let Zemo kill himself and says that epic line, “The living aren’t done with you yet.”
- The heartbreaking moment when Cap pounds his shield on Iron Man’s arc reactor, the physical fighting is over, but Tony says that Cap doesn’t deserve the shield his father made and Cap just throws it on the ground.
- When Tony is helping Rhodey walk in his new, mechanical legs that he invented for him and then Stan Lee does his cameo as the mailman and says, “Tony Stank” and Rhodey doesn’t let that slip away easily, making jokes about Tony.
- When Tony is reading the letter and at the end, we see Sam in that underwater jail and the camera turns and we see Steve come out from the shadows. And then the movie cuts to the credits.
- The first after-credits scene when we get a glimpse of T’Challa’s homeland, Wakanda, with the panther made out of rocks and we instantly get stoked for his solo film in 2018.
- The second after-credits scene when Peter is hiding his wrist thing that is lighting up from Aunt May and it reveals almost like a Bat signal thing of Spider-Man and then it cuts to the most beautiful words, “Spider-Man will return.”
So as you can see, pretty much the whole movie was my favorite part… It’s now tied for my favorite Marvel movie with Guardians of the Galaxy, but I feel like both are different genres so I can’t decide between the two. But I’ll probably watch this again because heck yeah, why not?!
GO SEE CAPTAIN AMERICA: CIVIL WAR NOW!